Select a Category
Knowledge Base > Discontinued Products > ARC-2
How many ARCs can I daisy-chain together?
Where can I find a Quick Start Guide for the Menu ARC (ARC-2)?
What is ARC Audio?
The ARC Audio port provides a means to either break-in or break-out a single balanced analog audio line from an ARCs CAT5 cable. Note, not all ARCs support ARC Audio.
What cables are required to connect to ARCs?
A single standard straight-through CAT-5/6 cable will provide power and data to an ARC from the host DSP. The daisy-chain to subsequent ARCs also uses CAT-5/6.
Legacy DSPs that pre-date the ARC Port (RJ-45) communicate to ARCs with a twisted-pair (A, B, Ground) for RS-485 data. In this scenario a local external transformer provides up to 24VDC to the ARC.
How do I use third party RS-232 control using an ARC-2 or ARC-2i?
The ARC-2 and ARC-2i are versatile remote controllers that can hold up to twenty-four (24) total menu items and can easily be programmed to manage anything from gain, preset triggering, source selection, room combining and more.
Many installations require channel control on an external device, such as a television or satellite receiver.
Below are the easy step-by-step instructions to add this specific ARC-2 programming to your SymNet site file. To begin, you will need to download the following link to the files containing the ARC-2 Channel Up/Down Super-Module, as well as the ARC-2 Programming.
Importing the ARC-2 Programming:
1) Open the Controller Manager
2) On the right side, bottom half, under File click “Import…”
3) Use the drop down, select the Ring the ARC-2 will physically connect to
4) Browse to the folder containing download files, highlight “channel_up_down_arc2” and click “Open”
5) Expand the RS-485 network to verify that the “TV / SAT Channel Controls” ARC-2 remote was successfully imported
6) Edit ARC-2 RS-485 address to match your hardware (default is 0)
Importing the Super-Module:
1) Open your site file, navigate to the design view (signal path).
2) Tools->Super-module Manager, click the “Import” button
3) Browse to the folder containing download files, highlight “channel_Up_DownARC2_supermod” and click “Open”
4) Now in the Toolkit, expand “Super-modules”
5) Drag the “channel_Up_DownARC2_supermod” into your design
6) Click the red triangle in upper right corner of super-module for a description of adjustable controls and parameters
7) Open super-module control screen, make parameter adjustments if needed
8) Turn “On” 232 String Output (be sure to add RS-232 string for up and down command) and/or Open Collector Output to trigger channel attenuation from the ARC-2/2i
9) “Download Entire Site File to SymNet” and to the RS-485 network devices.
After completing these easy steps, the ARC-2 or ARC-2i will control the channels of the third party device.
ARC Power Calculator
An ARC’s power requirements vary depending on the voltage supplied to it. For example, an ARC-2e at 24V DC uses approximately 55 mA, while at 7V DC it uses approximately 170 mA maximum. As the voltage varies from 24 to 7 VDC, the current requirement increases accordingly. ARCs can be daisy-chained and fed power over this daisy-chain from an ARC-PSe or other device. However, as the length of the cable increases, so does the resistive line loss, which lowers the voltage available at each subsequent ARC. The actual power drain on each output from the powering device can vary substantially depending on the number of ARCs and the distance each of them is separated by. In order to assist with system design, Symetrix has available a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that can help a system designer determine power requirements based upon cable length, number of ARCs and the power supply to be used.
Download Link: ARC Power Calculator.
What direction is ARC-Audio sent?
One channel of audio can be sent either way.
What distance can an ARC be from the host DSP?
What types of parameters can ARCs control?
ARCs are extremely flexible and can be assigned virtually any real-time parameters depending on what host DSP it is controlling. Generally ARCs are used for volumes, buttons, and presets.
Where can I find mechanical drawings for the ARC-2 front panel so that I can have custom panels made?
Versions for punched metal and machined materials are provided below. A third drawing for the display window is also provided. Using these drawings, contractors may build their own custom ARC-2 front panels to match decor or specific needs.
How do I upgrade ARC firmware in Designer?
ARC firmware is managed in Designer in the Controller Manager.
Tools > Controller Manager.